Drafting Wills And Planning Your Estate

Estate planning is often misunderstood to be a tool for only the elderly or extremely wealthy. In reality, there are a variety of situations in which a person should have at least some estate planning documents. At Cooney Law Offices, we will give you an honest recommendation of those documents that address your particular family and financial situation best.

If you fall within one or more of the following categories, you should consider consulting with an attorney, and here's why:

  • I have minor children. If you have minor children, what will happen to them if both parents pass away or become permanently incapacitated? With proper estate planning, you can designate a trusted relative or friend to serve as guardian of your child or children and assume the responsibility of raising them.
  • I have a child, grandchild or other relative with special needs. Government-funded programs such as Medicaid, Social Security Disability (SSD) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) have strict asset/income guidelines for benefit holders. Be sure to discuss your estate planning options with an attorney so you don't unintentionally disqualify a child, grandchild or other relative from receiving needed benefits.
  • I have a nontraditional/mixed family (stepchildren, unmarried couples with children, etc.). In the absence of a will or other estate planning tools, Washington law provides legally mandated rules of inheritance. These laws may or may not conform to your wishes and particular family circumstances.
  • I am a single, divorced or widowed adult. As an unmarried adult, it is particularly important to use durable powers of attorney so that someone you trust can make medical decisions for you and/or manage your finances if you are unable to do so.
  • I own property in another state. Without the proper estate plan, your heirs may face multiple, potentially costly and time-consuming probates. Consult with an attorney about your options.
  • I don't want to stay on life support. Hospital policies, family disagreements or other circumstances may keep you on life support when you would have chosen to "pull the plug." Ensure that this doesn't happen by signing a health care directive.
  • I have pets that I want to be provided for after I die. Even though you consider Fido part of the family, legally he's just another piece of property. If you want to make sure he's provided for, you'll need to plan for this.

Qualified Representation From Experienced Lawyers

We have been representing the residents of Spokane and eastern Washington since John ("Jack") Cooney first began his solo law practice nearly 70 years ago. Today we are proud to carry on the tradition of experienced legal service in criminal defense, personal injury, estate planning, family law, and employment law.

To see how Cooney Law Offices, P.S., can help in your case, contact us online or call us at 509-598-2677 and schedule an initial consultation in our Spokane office.