After a distracted driver crashes into your car in Washington, you expect to get out and trade information so you can make sure he or she is held responsible. Naturally, this includes insurance information because you will want to file a claim and get expenses covered by his or her policy. However, if the other driver does not have at least the minimum coverage, you will have to go another route.

According to the Washington State Office of the Insurance Commissioner, you should call law enforcement, and then gather as much relevant information as possible, including the following:

  • Contact information
  • License plate number
  • Driver’s license number
  • Photos of the vehicles and the scene
  • Witness contact information

You can file a claim with your own auto insurance company if you have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. Personal injury protection coverage should cover the costs of medical treatment if you opted to include it in your policy, as well.

If you decided not to purchase either of these coverage options, you may be able to at least have your physical needs attended to through your health insurance. You would have to pay for your vehicle repairs and other transportation needs yourself. There is a chance you could be reimbursed, though, if you take the other driver to court and hold him or her liable for the damages the negligent behavior caused you.

This information about your options after a crash caused by an uninsured motorist is general in nature. Therefore, it should not be interpreted as legal advice.